Yu-Gi-Oh!


It's time to d-d-d-ddddddduel! (enough ds?)

Ah YuGiOh, an anime I grew up with, along with Pokémon, Digimon, Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z and Mortal Kombat (all dubbed). To see the Japanese version being released on Crunchyroll makes me want to watch it again. I will do, but not on that site (unavailable in my region).

YuGiOh doesn't just show people duelling with cards - the people playing are able to see projections of their cards (thanks to a certain character). Who doesn't want to play cards with the opportunity to see a projection of your favourite monsters standing right in front of you? And attacking/defending? It's like Pokemon on the DS/Gameboy but without a screen and pixels (not that there is anything wrong with that, I like playing Pokemon). I do have an incomplete deck, but it's Jesse Anderson's Crystal Beast deck from Yu-Gi-Oh! GX (I don't have Rainbow Dragon).


For those of you new to the series, YuGiOh follows the story of Yami Yugi, a young boy who was able to solve an artefact known as the Millennium Puzzle and unlock the powers within it. These powers are used by Yugi when he plays the popular duelling card game. But the story doesn't stop there, for other things come into play which requires Yugi and friends (and others) to duel.

There are many memorable moments in YuGiOh, such as the first duel Yugi has with Seto Kaiba, which saw him summon Exodius, a feat no one has ever been able to do (if I remember correctly), and shows just how good a duellist Yugi is. But this is one you should watch as the plot is great, as are the characters and battles. I'd also recommend YuGiOh! GX, which takes on a more modern approach to duelling which is now being taught in an academy and follows the story of Jaden Yuki, a boy who admires the great Yami Yugi and joins the Duelling Academy. Yugi does feature in it (at the start and at the end of the series I think), and his duel with Jaden is one which I enjoyed.

====
Summary:

A young boy has an interest in playing the popular duelling card game and unlocks the power in an artefact
Anything else: It's time to d-d-d-dddddduel!

Comments